Sorry to all of my faithful blog checkers..it has been way too long since I have posted and I apologize. I have just finished up my third week of language learning, my third week of being on campus, and starting to feel like I can start to call this crazy city my home. I can honestly say that my favorite times of being in Rome thus far have been going to campus and meeting students. I have been having so much fun meeting Italian students, learning about their culture, and just trying to be their friend. Just last night we had a party at our house. It was an autumn themed party where we bobbed for apples, carved pumpkins and enjoyed eating wonderful chili and apple crisps. I feel like I am meeting people here, and getting a chance to tell them about the most important thing in my life: Jesus.
It has been a very rewarding experience thus far, but I would by lying if I did not say that there have been times of me questioning why I am here. It is hard for me at times to put a finger on why this happen, but I know that I have been learning a lot about myself in the process. I have been learning how much I can tend to focus on myself amidst hard times, and how it can tend to be all about me, but I think more importantly that this I am learning about how faithful God is. It is in fact something that I will never be able to understand this side of heaven. It is something that I am reminded of when I read Paul's second letter to the Corinthians. I connect to Paul so much when he is talking about our "treasure in jars of clay to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us." I am reminded in this passage that it is not what is seen that is important, because these things will ultimately see their end, but the things that are unseen are the things that will last for eternity. When I think about the things that I am missing in Italy, or focusing on all of the things here that can seem uncomfortable I am selling myself short. God is powerful, God is faithful, and God will get the glory in the end. It is just a matter of whether I allow myself the joy of being apart of this, or am I to focus on myself in the process and miss all that God wants me to enjoy and seek pleasure in Him.
I hope to be more consistent with updating my blog, and I want to make a promise to all that I will be doing this every week now (No excuses). Hope all is well with all...
Friday, October 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Yay! Thanks for the update. Continue to nurture your teachable spirit. God will continue to teach you, especially when we are most uncomfortable.
We are glad to hear you are doing well. We're praying that God would help you to learn the language & culture quickly so that you can be of utmost use to Him while you are there!
cheering you on,
The Mease's
Jess, Bri, & Grace :0)
Hey man, I enjoyed checking out the blog, especially the rousing tour of your apartment. So crazy that you ended up seeing my parents a couple weeks ago! Thanks a lot for the letter, that was cool. And congrats to you and Kimberly on your engagement of course! Laura and I are stoked for you guys. Rock on...
Post a Comment